Monday, March 11, 2013

Standing, not Sitting.


Friday night I was working on the mountain of home work I had to do, when suddenly I had an epiphany. I had already spent so much time that day sitting at school, sitting on the bus, and then sitting on the couch. If I didn't get up and do something right then, I will have been sitting all day.

So I decided to stand.

I brought over my bedside table, a container from my closet, and my make-up box, and I elevated my entire working space. The whole thing was perfect for my height.

I decided this weekend I would try working on the computer while standing. I'm so glad I did because the experience was an eye-opener.

It didn't take me long to realize I was far more productive while standing at the computer. I spent less time on sites like Facebook and Pinterest and focused more on the article I was writing. Perhaps it was because I wanted to stop standing as soon as possible, or because there was better blood circulation in my body, but before I knew it my work for that evening was done.

As I went to bed that night I discovered my back was a little sore after standing for over an hour at my desk, but I think it was because I'd used some muscles I hadn't in a while. When I woke up I felt great, refreshed, almost like waking up after a good hike the day before.

On Saturday I started to notice more differences as I continued to work at my desk. My breathing was less shallow than before, the muscles in my back didn't ache anymore, and some of the muscles in my chest were opening up. My shoulders were back rather than slouched forward, and again I was flying through my work faster than I normally do.

On Sunday I had to put my computer back down on its regular level. I was working on a particularly long assignment (17 pages!) for my Public Relations class, and after 6 hours of standing at my desk, I felt I needed to take a break.

Since this weekend's experiment, I've decided to elevate my work space at home permanently. I predict I will become more used to the experience after another week or two.

I've also decided to make an effort to stand while taking the bus, but I haven't thought of a way I could stand more while in school. If you have any suggestions, please leave me a comment below.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Not sure how to stand while in school -- during group meetings or independent work time, maybe you could.

    Did you ever go in for the sitting-on-a-balance-ball craze?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I tried to, but all the yoga balls I found weren't large enough. I always found myself staring at the edge of the desk. I do know Kieran sits on a balance ball at home though. Perhaps I should ask him where he got it. : )

      Delete